Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fire Truck steering wheel

Well, I finally finished putting off refurbishing the wood steering wheel from my department's old fire truck.  It took a lot of time to get all of the dirt and grime of 70 years out of the wood - not to mention the Duct tape that had been used to hold the finger joints together for the last 15 to 20 years.  I don't know how many hours were spent sanding it exactly, but there were a good ten to twelve, at least.  I stained it to help cover up some of the coloring differences between where the Duct tape was and where it wasn't.  Then I hand rubbed about five coats of poly on it so as not to have to worry about it being too slippery (we are going to be driving the old beauty in parades, you know).  I will post a picture today or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment