Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Diamond Willow Walking Staff

Last fall, my brother-in-law gave me a cluster of diamond willow trunks from his yard (he has about 250).  I brought them home and shaved all the bark off of them, then just let them sit in the house for the winter to dry.  Last night, I took mine out to the shop and put a heavy layer of laquer on it.  The plan is to let it soak in and dry for two days, then take it and sand it down to prep it for a second and final coat.  I figure two should be good since it will be used to go on all the hikes my boys and I go on with Scouting.  I will post pics after I have finished.  I think I might even have to do some knot work on the upper part for a grip, not sure if I am going to use paracord or leather.  Any thoughts about which will last longer?  I have a lot more years and miles of Scouting with the boys in my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment